Take an Adventure
Join the Adventure Trip Program e-mail list, and stay up-to-date with upcoming trip, clinics and programs before registration opens! Email OutdoorCenter@txstate.edu to join.
Upcoming Adventure Trips
SPRING BREAK 2024: Applications open now
All other Spring 2024 trips will open registration on Tuesday, January 16th @ Noon
The Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande, along the border between Texas and Mexico, is one of the last truly wilderness river trips to be found in the United States. As we canoe over 70 river miles, you will paddle beneath 1,500- to 2,000-foot-tall canyon walls, and have the chance to see wildlife rarely seen elsewhere!
Optional: Eligible for academic credit (REC 1330 - Outdoor Recreation Programming)
- This trip fulfills REC 1330’s trip assignment when paired with a reflection paper. Please note that the trip is not mandatory for students enrolled in REC 1330, other options are available throughout the semester.
- Registering for REC 1330 is NOT a requirement to participate on this trip!
Dates: Saturday, March 9th - Saturday, March 16th, 2024 (Spring Break)
- Departure Time: 5:00AM on Saturday, March 9th
- Return Time: 8:00PM on Sunday, March 20th
Location: Big Bend National Park, Rio Grande
Cost: $XXX.XX (Student Price)
- All transportation to and from the activity location
- All activity-specific equipment
- Most meals
- All permits, access fees, and reservations
- Trip leader staff to guide your experience
What's Not Included
- Meals during vehicle travel
- Personal clothing and equipment needs (will be discussed at pre-trip meeting)
Required Skills prior to registering:
- Confident and able swimmer
- Some paddling experience, in either canoe or kayak
Pre-Trip Meetings: Both mandatory to attend
- Pre-Trip Meeting #1: 6:00PM on Wednesday, February 28th
- Pre-Trip Meeting #2: 6:00PM on Wednesday, March 6th
Program Applications Now Open:
- REC 1330 students will receive priority registration until January 21st.
- Open enrollment will begin January 22nd.
- Applications will be considered in the order they were received
Registration Payment Due: No later than 02/28/2024
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
GENERAL TRIP POLICY INFO
"I was blown away. Absolutely a life changing experience that I will forever carry with me. The bond our team made between such different people was an awesome experience and I will without a doubt keep in contact with some of the friends I made this trip. We all learned so much about backpacking, respect and appreciation for the environment, and about ourselves. Every person on this trip shared some truly moving life lessons and experiences that they will take from this, and my experience was no different. This program is an incredible resource to those of all backgrounds and I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to take part."
-Adventure Trip Participant
Day and Weekend Trips
Explore the Texas Hill Country with the Adventure Trip Program on a day or overnight trip!
- Day Hikes
- Moonlight Paddles
- Rock Climbing
- Standup Paddle Boarding
- Overnight Canoeing
- ...and so much more!
Extended Break Trips
Look out for expedition-style adventures throughout the United States and beyond during the academic breaks!
- Thanksgiving Break
- Winter Break
- Spring Break
- May Break
- Summer Semester
The Adventure Trip Program collaborates with and helps outfit experiences for departments across campus. Partnerships include:
- Edwards Aquifer Research & Data Center (EARDC)
- Department of Health and Human Performance
- Family Experiences
- ...and more!
Interested in how the Adventure Trip Program could help elevate your department or program offerings? Submit a Custom Programming Request today!