The Trip Staff Training Program (TSTP) is open to all Texas State students to become leaders among their peers in outdoor recreation settings. This can include short activities here in San Marcos, or longer trips around Texas and beyond.
Become an Adventure Trip Leader
Experience an immersive outdoor education and instructor development program; no prior outdoor experience is needed to apply! Previous experience can help expedite your training process.
Once trained, year-round trip leading opportunities will be available!
See the below "Trip Staff Training Schedule" for all mandatory dates & events before applying.
Where/When to Apply
Trip Staff Interest Meetings
Come learn what the training program entails, staff expectations, trip opportunities, and more! Attending an Interest Meeting is not mandatory, to be considered for the Trip Staff position, but greatly preferred.
Interest Meeting Dates:
- August 23, 2023
- August 31, 2023
- 5:00PM - 7:00PM at Sewell Park Outdoor Center
Can't attend an Interest Meeting? Look for Adventure Trip leaders tabling on the Quad or Mall the first week of classes!
Trip Staff Training Schedule
All training dates are mandatory to attend for incoming trip leaders.
Fall 2023 Semester Training Dates
- Applications Period
- August 1st - September 6th
- APPLY EARLY
- In Person Interview Date
- September 8th @ 5:00PM - 7:00PM (Sewell Park Outdoor Center)
- Onboarding and New Hire Paperwork
- Week of September 25th
- Classroom Sessions (8-Weeks) (Sewell Park Outdoor Center)
- October 2nd - November 20th
- One session per week
- Day of week and time based on your schedule
- Winter Break Training Trip
- Pre-Trip Meeting - November 29th @ 6:00PM
- Field Training - January 3-7, 2024
Spring 2024 Semester Training Dates (Tentative)
- Van & Trailer Training
- January 12, 2024
- Field Training
- January 19-21, 2024
- February 25, 2024
- February 28, 2024 (Evening)
- March 2nd, 2024
- Texas Outdoor Leadership Conference (TOLC)
- February 2-4, 2024
- Wilderness First Aid Certification
- Option 1: April 27-28, 2024
- Option 2: May 4-5, 2024